Columbia Personal Injury Attorneys
If someone else’s actions triggered an accident that left you with medical bills, lost income, and other crushing expenses, you deserve to be compensated. Under South Carolina personal injury law, those who cause injury and loss through negligence, recklessness, or criminal intent owe a debt of restitution to their victims.
At Mickle & Bass, our skilled Columbia personal injury attorneys have extensive experience successfully navigating the recovery process and the complex insurance system. Our attorneys have in-depth knowledge of what it takes to build a strong claim for compensation if you were hurt in a serious auto accident.
Schedule a free consultation today to learn how our personal injury attorneys will fight to protect your financial future. If we can pursue a claim for you, we will do so at no charge unless and until we recover compensation for you.
How Our Columbia Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
If you have been injured in an accident and have already filed an insurance claim, you probably have gotten a taste of how insurance companies treat accident victims, particularly those who have suffered serious (and costly) injuries and losses. What you have likely learned is that insurance companies are not on your side. Instead, their interests lie with keeping the cost of your claim payment as low as possible.
At Mickle & Bass, our Columbia personal injury lawyers will stand up to insurance companies and demand the full and fair compensation you deserve. We will not let them take advantage of you or ignore the unique circumstances of your accident. You can trust our team to:
- Investigate the cause of your accident and identify all legally responsible parties
- Review your medical records to determine the full extent of your injuries and their costs now and into the future
- Calculate your lost income, property damage costs, out-of-pocket expenses, and other costs and losses related to your accident, injuries, and recovery
- Consult with you, your family, friends, co-workers, etc., as appropriate to calculate the non-economic costs (pain, suffering, anguish, etc.) of your accident
- Identify insurance coverage held by parties responsible for your accident and file all possible claims on your behalf
After filing claims with the insurance companies, our personal injury team will negotiate aggressively for payment. If an insurer does not present a fair and proper settlement offer in a timely manner, we will file a personal injury lawsuit and ask a jury for fair compensation. Often, it is during the “discovery” process of a lawsuit, in which parties obtain additional evidence from each other, that insurers begin to negotiate seriously and make more reasonable settlement offers.
If an acceptable settlement cannot be reached, we will be prepared to present a strong and convincing argument in court on your behalf.
What You Need to Know About Insurance Companies
Because personal injury and insurance laws are complex, insurance companies are often able to exploit the injured and avoid paying them what they deserve. However, having a skilled Columbia personal injury lawyer on your side sends a warning to insurance companies that you are serious about demanding full and fair compensation.
Here are a few factors to keep in mind if you are approached by an insurance adjuster after an accident:
- Insurance adjusters have no legal obligation to help you. They are not even required to tell you the truth about what a policy covers or how much it pays.
- Insurance adjusters do not base offers on what happened to you specifically. Instead, they use previous claim payouts and statistics to tell them what to offer.
- Insurance adjusters know, based on past cases, that if they deny a person’s claim, the victim will probably give up and walk away empty-handed.
- Insurance adjusters may seem sympathetic, but they are trained to coax you into saying things that will lower the value to your claim. Remember, they are on the side of their employer, not you.
Never sign anything or accept any settlement offer from an insurer without talking to a skilled South Carolina personal injury attorney. You could be giving up your right to money damages you deserve.
What Do You Need to Prove in a Personal Injury Claim?
For those who are injured, it may seem obvious who is at fault and should pay for their losses. However, proving a personal injury claim can be complicated. Our experienced South Carolina injury lawyers will work to show that:
- The other party’s negligence, recklessness, or intentional act led to the accident.
- You suffered an injury, and other losses, in the accident.
- The accident was the most direct (proximate) cause of your injury and loss.
- Your injury and losses entitle you to money damages.
At Mickle & Bass, our team is well-versed in South Carolina personal injury law. We will walk you through what you can expect in your claim and answer any questions you have about how the legal process works.
Compensation in a South Carolina Personal Injury Claim
As our South Carolina personal injury lawyers prepare a claim for you, we will account for all past, present, and future losses related to your injury. We will demand compensation for all debts and expenses associated with your accident. If you have suffered a disabling injury, we will seek to ensure that you are compensated for the damage to your earning capacity.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Damage to personal property, e.g., a motor vehicle
- Loss of income or earning capacity
- Physical impairment
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
In cases involving permanent disability, we will consult with experts to develop long-term care plans for medical and personal needs and costs throughout the years ahead. We also calculate lost income over the long term if your disability will keep your from earning the same living you were earning before being injured.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in South Carolina?
South Carolina law imposes a statute of limitations of three years from the date of injury for filing most personal injury claims. This may seem like plenty of time, but investigating and compiling a case is often complicated and time-consuming. Insurance companies that want to avoid paying a claim have many opportunities to delay.
That’s why it is best to contact an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident. Contact us now for a free consultation so that we can begin the work of investigating your accident and developing a solid personal injury claim for you.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Mickle & Bass, our dedicated attorneys handle a wide variety of personal injury claims, including:
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents
- Negligent Security Assaults and Robberies
- Premises Liability Cases
- Dangerous and Defective Products
No matter how you were injured, if you believe another individual or company is to blame, you need to speak with one of our attorneys about your right to compensation. Schedule a free consultation now to learn more.
Contact our Columbia Personal Injury Law Firm
Contact the dedicated South Carolina personal injury lawyers at Mickle & Bass today to put our experienced and compassionate legal team to work on your personal injury claim. We will provide a free, no-obligation legal consultation, and all additional legal work for you will be on a contingency-fee basis. That means we will not charge you a fee unless and until we recover a monetary settlement or court award for you.
Don’t try to face insurance companies on your own when there is so much at stake. Our highly experienced legal advocates are here to take up your claim and fight for your interests. Contact us now to get started.