South Carolina Premises Liability Attorneys
When you are visiting someone else’s property, whether it’s a public or private place, you have a right to expect reasonably safe conditions. So when a property owner or manager is negligent and you are hurt as a result, you have a right to demand compensation for your injuries. This is true whether you were injured at a place of business, on public property such as a sidewalk, or at someone’s home.
At Mickle & Bass, our dedicated South Carolina premises liability lawyers have a long track record of success in securing full and fair compensation for victims of slip-and-fall accidents, dog bites, swimming pool accidents, and other dangerous situations. Our legal team is aggressive in taking on large companies that may have put you at risk, but we are also sensitive to situations in which you may need to pursue compensation from a friend or neighbor’s homeowners’ insurance.
Schedule a free consultation now to talk about your legal options. Our South Carolina personal injury law firm makes our services affordable by not charging any fees upfront. Instead, we only collect attorney fees if and when we secure money for you.
How Can Our S.C. Premises Liability Lawyers Help You?
Any time you are injured on someone else’s property due to negligence, you will be dealing with that property owner’s or manager’s insurance company. Our skilled South Carolina premises liability attorneys understand how these insurance companies operate, and we know the legal strategies they will use to try to avoid paying you the compensation you deserve.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident, we may demand payment for:
- Medical expenses, both for the bills you’re facing now and treatments you may need in the future
- Lost income, including reduced earning capacity
- Personal property damage, such as if your vehicle was stolen during an attack
- Your physical and emotional pain and suffering
As soon as our attorneys take your case, we will launch an investigation into the cause of your accident and determine who should be held liable for the harm you have suffered. We will negotiate aggressively with the responsible parties in hopes of reaching a full and fair settlement. However, we won’t back down from a fight in court if that’s what is necessary to pursue justice in your case.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation, and let us answer any questions you have about how to move forward with your premises liability claim.
What Is Premises Liability Law?
South Carolina premises liability law describes the legal duties that businesses, individuals, and other entities have to people who visit the property (or premises) they own. Basically, those who own or manage property must ensure their premises are reasonably safe, or they must warn visitors of any dangers.
Our South Carolina personal injury attorneys handle a wide range of premises liability claims. However, some of the most common types of cases we take include:
Slip-and-Fall or Trip-and-Fall Accidents
Slips and trips on poorly maintained property can leave a person with serious injuries. Some of the most common causes of slip-and-fall accidents include:
- Wet or slick floors
- Potholes or cracks in concrete
- Cluttered aisles or walkways
- Damaged or loose flooring, such as carpets or rugs
- Elevators or escalators that start or stop suddenly or don’t align with the floor
- Poor lighting near hazardous conditions
A lack of adequate security can invite criminal activity on a property, such as assault or theft. Negligent security issues that affect apartment complexes, offices, hotels, and other facilities may include:
- Inadequate lighting that causes a safety risk
- Doors and windows that cannot be locked
- Lack of guards or security cameras
- Untrained or negligent security staff
- Lack of procedures to limit guest access
- Failure to conduct background screenings on personnel who then commit a crime
- Not enough security officers to control crowds at big events
- Allowing loitering
Swimming Pool Accidents
There are a variety of safety rules that apply to swimming pool owners. Homeowners, businesses, and government agencies can be held responsible if their negligence causes a swimming pool accident. Common types of accidents at pools include:
- Drowning / near-drowning
- Diving accidents
- Illness or disease from tainted water
- Chemical burns from unsafe pool treatments
- Trapped by dangerous drains
Dog attacks that cause serious personal injuries and disfiguration can change a victim’s life forever. In South Carolina, the animal’s owner may be held accountable even if he or she could not have known the dog would bite. In general, a dog owner may be held responsible if:
- The dog bites, mauls, or “otherwise attacks” someone.
- The person was either in public or was lawfully in a private place when the attack occurred.
- The victim did not provoke the animal, except in cases involving young children.
Accidents at Parks and Playgrounds
You have a right to expect equipment and facilities and parks and playgrounds to be safe. Some of the common dangers people face at amusement parks, playgrounds, and other recreational venues include:
- Improperly installed, maintained, or operated equipment
- Untrained or negligent staff
- Lack of supervision on group outings
- Dangerous or defective equipment from the manufacturer
What Is a Property Owner’s Duty to Prevent Injury?
According to South Carolina premises liability law, property owners (or those acting on their behalf) have a legal duty to:
- Ensure the property is safe for those visiting
- Inspect the property on a regular basis to identify hazards
- Fix hazards in a timely manner
- Warn visitors about dangers
Insurance companies will take an aggressive stance in defending property owners from personal injury claims. They may try to blame victims for the accident, claiming a person did not take reasonable precautions around an obvious hazard or accusing a victim of trespassing on the property. It is crucial that you have a skilled South Carolina premises liability attorney on your side to build a strong claim and push back against insurance companies.
Get Help with your Premises Liability Claim Today
Do not put off talking to our knowledgeable South Carolina premises liability attorneys if you have been seriously injured on someone else’s property. Evidence in these types of cases can be cleaned up or disposed of quickly, so it is important that we begin our investigation into your claim as soon as possible.
Schedule a free consultation with our skilled legal team today. We will work quickly to preserve evidence and document your injuries, so we can craft a solid case for maximum compensation for you.
Schedule a free consultation today by calling or filling out our online contact form. Our dedicated personal injury attorneys can meet with you in Columbia, Rock Hill, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or anywhere else in South Carolina. We can come to your home or hospital room, wherever is most convenient.
Mickle and Bass: South Carolina Personal Injury Lawyers
South Carolina personal injury law covers a wide variety of claims. At Mickle & Bass, our skilled personal injury lawyers have extensive experience successfully resolving an array of cases, including:
If you or a family member has been harmed due to an individual’s or company’s negligence, you need to talk with our knowledgeable attorneys about what to do next. Schedule a free legal consultation today to get started on your case.